Resistors and Capacitors for Hornby 0-4-0 chassis

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Help for installing them.

[user=1710]D_Will[/user] wrote:
* I first got this idea from railway modeller volume 66, pages 111-113, called "Staying alive" that talks about putting capacitors into the locos.

Darius, if you can scan that part of the article( what issue ? )  & save it as a JPG or PDF & attach it here, then we can see what was written.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hello Darius,
A capacitor with a large enough supply for even 1/4 second would be way bigger than the loco unless my calculations are really wrong! That size would also be polar which means it would limit your locos to travelling in one direction only when you coupled it up… polar capacitors do some nasty things coupled up the wrong way.]

I have just been down my shed and I have a number of Canon flat sided motors which you can have for what I paid for them (Aus $16) and they look as if they would fit glove like onto the chassis once the back retainer was removed. I used a couple to repower RDC's I have. 
The shafts even look to be the same size for the worm and I would probably do a remotor of my own unit. The better quality motor would go a long way! I do have some British trains as you know and when our older daughter was living in the UK, the Pug was a Xmas/Birthday/Fathers Day (whichever was applicable - cross out the others) so it is sentimental!
Regards
Trevor

Last edit: by xdford

Posted
Rating:
Hi Darius,
I think Trevor is right, you would to have the capacitor in a Mink. I think you may be asking a bit too much from Smokey Joe. Clean track and wheels in DC are about the limit. Plus more weight and a feedback controller.
Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hello Darius,
I added another thin strip of lead flashing in the body of the Pug and bit the bullet and cut the capacitor leg but left it in situ. The immediate result was a slightly lower start speed and a constant 3-4 smph … we shall keep trying,
Cheers

Trevor

Last edit: by xdford

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.