Hornby R3188 N2 review

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

A quick review of the BR N2

Hi Peter,

I agree with your comments as to Hornby loco's and for a while I would not touch them. I have however strayed from that policy once or twice, the latest being the sentinel shunter. The A4 that I have got had one or two issues with things coming off it and even though just on the programme track was not the best.

I also think that Hornby's attitude sucked for a while ( as with most manufacturers ) and they thought people would accept any old crap. So …..vote with your feet and don't buy form them. Nothing against those who do but if everyone started abstaining……they would soon get the message.

My Hornby teak coaches seem ok and will be making an appearance on my track testing over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
If we stop buying from Hornby, the other manufacturers may start to drop the ball as they would not have the common 'yard stick' to measure their detailed models from…

I must admit, I have a few Hornby models, M7, Q1, T9, Schools, Black 5, Class 101 DMU. Actually more Hornby than Bachmann and Dapol put together… Then there are the old Triang Hornby model locos and the Hornby loco models from the mid 90's… :roll:

Hornby do have to step up a notch, but as what has been said previously, they are the entry level of models. Without them, the next generation may neglect the hobby. :cry:

Cheers, Gary.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=878]Gary[/user] wrote:
If we stop buying from Hornby, the other manufacturers may start to drop the ball as they would not have the common 'yard stick' to measure their detailed models from…

I must admit, I have a few Hornby models, M7, Q1, T9, Schools, Black 5, Class 101 DMU. Actually more Hornby than Bachmann and Dapol put together… Then there are the old Triang Hornby model locos and the Hornby loco models from the mid 90's… :roll:

Hornby do have to step up a notch, but as what has been said previously, they are the entry level of models. Without them, the next generation may neglect the hobby. :cry:

Cheers, Gary.
Totally agree :thumbs

Besides, without the Hornby Railroad range where would we get a supply of cheap pugs to practice doctoring and repainting.

Ed

PS Well I think the N2 looks OK.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
they are the ones Gary,Ihave used them since they first came out,if they do get dislodged they just fly off the track, (they are springs after all)as far as dcc goes they can like any foriegn object cause a short but hat is all, if in doubt using them just solder a wire across the frog blades instead,
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Why do you knock Hornby locos? I have a fleet of some 60 steam locos whch are 50/50 Hornby/Bachmann. None of my Hornby models have given me any problems with running anywhere on my layout but I have had a few with some of my Bachmann models. Without Hornbys presence our hobby would be in a sorry state. 

Posted
Rating:
It's each to his own Derek, and usually based on personal experiences. 

I too have a mixed (but very small by comparison) fleet and am pleased with some of my Hornby locos, others however, are less acceptable. 

I haven't had any problems with my Bachmann stock but it's interesting that, for locos and goods wagons, I'd go to Bachmann by preference whereas for coaching stock, I'd opt for Hornby.

I absolutely concur with you regarding Hornby's influence within the hobby - without them post war, I doubt the hobby would even exist !!  Today, without their Railroad Range, many youngsters wouldn't be able to afford the down payment so the eventual mortgage would be hypothetical. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I think its an age/experience thing.My first Train set was a H/D 1958 Stanier 2-8-0 heavy Goods set.It had its motor jutting into the cab which did not bother me a jot.
Times moved on and rivet counting seemed to creep in regarding our model railways.Its a different kind of fun in some ways.More about the build and getting things like the prototype,Well as much as we want to.I still like to use my imagination though.The locos are electric powered and not steam driven so it helps.The main thing to remember no matter what level you aim for is to enjoy it.
regards,
Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Well said Derek and to each, his own!! :)

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
I certainly woudn't argue with those sentiments Derek. :thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I will add, it's a pity when Hornby took command of Lima, that they dumped all the Australian models… I will say that it has opened the door here for other/new manufacturers, but $270 + for an Aussie loco puts a few people off modelling the Aussie prototype… That's why I changed to modelling British railways… ;-)

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=878]Gary[/user] wrote:
I will add, it's a pity when Hornby took command of Lima, that they dumped all the Australian models… I will say that it has opened the door here for other/new manufacturers, but $270 + for an Aussie loco puts a few people off modelling the Aussie prototype… That's why I changed to modelling British railways… ;-)

Cheers, Gary.
so now you know why hornby dumped the oz nodels,,,:roll:
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter

How about an Ivatt 2MT, a nice diminutive 0-6-0, that if you get problems with pick-ups you can add extra to the tender. And as an advantage for you its Bachmann. My best running stream outline is a Hornby Black5 sound, my worst running steam loco is a Bachmann B1, even with a stay alive. I have a sound chip to fit on it but will also fit pickups in the tender at the same time. All my best runners are diesels (apart from an Hornby 08), mixture Bachmann cl 20 & 24 - both OEM sound fitted  & 2 x cl 105 DMU - Hattons MD4 decoders, and Hornby cl101 - Hornby R8429 decoder. No issues over points - both 3 Way and a double slip, or baseboard joints.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Good idea, not thought of that model :)

Ron

Posted
Rating:
I covered this in Hornby Magazine issue 70.

I fitted a ZIMO MX645 sound decoder with a custom sound project from recordings I made of an N2 at GCR. 

I also fitted a 2200 uF stay alive capacitor.

The model is a bit dated in design and the motor in the cab is a bit naff (though it is painted black so it's not too noticable) but that allows room for the decoder and what is a fairly large capacitor, 10 times more capacitance than the one which came with the decoder.

Despite the design drawbacks, they are sweet running and with the stay-alive, virtually unstoppable (unless you want to stop, that is).

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Paul, that's worth knowing!!:)

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.