Rating:

Brick Built 8 Arch Viaduct

:mutley:mutley:mutley

Maxmill is always happy to acquire new real estate ……………:cheers

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Progress has been slow, but have manged to start on the piers, they are taking longer to put together than I thought, as I need the card to be layered up to around 5mm thick for strength.

First pier constructed, note that brick colour is out, the arches were printed on my old printer, the paper for the piers on my new one, luckily I have managed to find in my stash enough prints done on the old printer to re-cover this one and do the rest, otherwise I would have had to play with the colour balance to get a match.

Second pier done, weighted down while it all dries, 5 more to do and then two end sections.

Then I guess it will need a few details like drainage and weathering down.

More later in the week hopefully….

Last edit: by Campaman

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Andy, don't stress the different colour brick, if I could find it, I'd email [not my piccy] a retaining wall near Basingstoke with four distinctly different 'red bricks'. I intentionally mix red and brown bricks all with a 'tweak' from the print programme and IMHO it adds to the realism…

Poop-poop!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
I agree. 
Variation in brick colour, especially for such a large structure which would have taken years to build, could be the norm and in my mind will make a more interesting model.
It looks very imposing and will be a wonderful addition to your layout.

cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thats good then, as even though I have found some sheets from my old printer they are still slightly different.

Pier construction continues this evening…

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Lovely viaduct Andy.As the lads said bricks tended to vary on large jobs.
Best of luck with the constuction,
Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Andy,

This is a superb construction, fair play to you for sticking it out I know how long these things can take and every one is learning how to do it as you go along.

If you haven't already done this you might consider spraying the printed bits with a protective spray it will stop any water cappilering up the paper as you glue the scatter stuff right up to it and also protect it from fading in UV light.

Regards - Jim

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jim, welcome to the thread.

The full structure will be given a coat of matt varnish once completed (after the first watercolour weathering has been done) as well as sealing the paper it also gives a key for any powder weathering using ground artists pastels.

I am a cheap skate so use Wilkinsons matt varnish from large tins rather than modelling paints.

I also have a tin of Lidl's W5 waterproofing spray that I used based on a tip given by Doug (dooferdog)

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Hello Andy,

Many thanks for that I printed this out and popped into the garage and tried some Polyurethane varnish on it and then scanned the result.

This is printed onto Tesco's cheapo paper using cheapo, £11 for 15 cartridges inks.

It works fine though I'm not sure if the varnish is now water based stuff, I'll pop to the local DIY tomorrow.

Regards - Jim

Posted
Rating:
The Varnish I use is waterbased, I dont have any problems with it, I just dont apply it to heavy, in the better weather I usually use my airbrush

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
I go away for several months then when I come back, the quality of what's going on here is even better than it was! This viaduct looks amazing. I like the use of the Scalescenes' basic shapes as a starting point, but it's so much more. Looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

Mike
Pig Hill Yard - a small Inglenook shunting layout for my boys, in 00.

Posted
Rating:
Think this is about as far as I can go with it now until its actually installed on the layout

Only question is should it have some form of drainpipes added, looking at pictures I am not sure, a local 3 arch rail bridge has metal drainpipes from the bottom of the parapet wall, but not sure looking at other viaduct pictures.

And roughly where its for on the layout, as the lift out across the doors to the shed

I have also now given it a bit of weathering with watercolours and its also had a coat of matt varnish and a few artists pastels rubbed over but it had gotten too dark for further pictures.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Great work Andy.

The two tone brick work on the lower piers look fantastic. This bridge will definately be a feature on your layout. :thumbs

Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2015… :cheers

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Impressive work Andy.You should be pleased with that.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the kind words, I am pretty happy with it, its not come out too bad.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's stunning, Andy.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
That is one great viaduct Andy.

John.

Posted
Rating:
I agree with what the others have said. Superb, impressive, lovely work … there are only so many superlatives we can use!

:doublethumb

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Drat you Andy… I wasn't going to have a viaduct… Now I'm just going to have to fit one in somewhere. :lol::lol:

The two tone brickwork looks great.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Andy

When I saw your earlier post I thought to myself, that's getting big, I wonder where he's going to put that.

Makes sense now and what a good way to span the gap.

Looks great too :thumbs

Ed
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.