view photos in Gallery
view photos as slides
The Q wrote: If you note back to the original post that mixture of water to PVA is for mixing with the pollfilla, it as I state, creates a nice hard shell of pollyfilla not a crumbly surface.
just A note, I've just updated my first post as I managed to mix 1/3 water with 2/3 rd water. It now says 1/3 pva with 2/3 water... Hi Kevin,
Dangerous waters here. PVA starts to behave rather funny when diluted too far. Loss of tensile strength for one. The recommended dilution for woodworking is 95:5 PVA:water v/v. Most applications of PVA in this hobby do not call for a lot of tensile strength, my own experience is that 75% PVA is around the limit for good adhesion. Gluing bits of styrene needs the neat stuff, and works best if the surface is roughed up a bit with some sand paper.
Big problem with styrene-based foams is that decent compression during the tack stage is normally not possible. Best approach is to glue the flat piece, weight it down, then cut/carve when attached.
For what you are doing a chunk of balsa would probably do just as well. If the styrene you have is the light, white material found in packing that compresses between thumb and finger I would bin it. You need the pink/blue/green one meant for insulation.
For gluing pollystrene to the baseboard I use the PVA straight...
Now I've finally started a model railway...I've inherited another...