Video Archive         Recent Topics      
YMR logo

You are here:  Your Model Railway Club > More Practical Help > Kit Bashing > Johns 7mm Coach Workbench To bottom of page
                 

 Moderated by: Spurno Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Start New Topic Reply Printer Friendly

Johns 7mm Coach Workbench - Kit Bashing - More Practical Help - Your Model Railway Club
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Dec 13th, 2017 04:19 pm
PMQuoteReply
link to this 181st post
Brossard
Member


Joined: Sat Jul 23rd, 2011
Location: Brossard, Quebec Canada
Posts: 2849
Status: 
Offline

My photos:
view photos in Gallery
view photos as slides

I had the Rivarossi Royal Scot and a rake of coaches.  The best models on the subject I have ever seen but spoiled irreparably by the scale.  I didn't know Peco was involved.  I hope lessons have been learned. 

I don't think British 4mm scale will ever be right and 00 is with us to stay.  Another reason to switch to 0 gauge, at least the track gauge is right (well almost, 7FS gauge of 31.5mm scales to 4'6").

John



____________________
John

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Dec 13th, 2017 04:30 pm
PMQuoteReply
link to this 182nd post
BCDR
Moderator


Joined: Sat Oct 19th, 2013
Location: Reston, Virginia USA
Posts: 2238
Status: 
Offline

My photos:
view photos in Gallery
view photos as slides

Hi John,

One thing that struck me was the lack of auto-coupling gear. Is this supplied as something you have to add?

Underframe detail. They were pretty basic. Gas cylinder for the lights, vacuum cylinder, pipes and brake wires.

Nigel



____________________
©Nigel C. Phillips
Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Dec 13th, 2017 04:56 pm
PMQuoteReply
link to this 183rd post
allan downes
Full Member
 

Joined: Thu Feb 28th, 2013
Location: Immingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 2009
Status: 
Offline

My photos:
view photos in Gallery
view photos as slides

Brossard wrote: I had the Rivarossi Royal Scot and a rake of coaches.  The best models on the subject I have ever seen but spoiled irreparably by the scale.  I didn't know Peco was involved.  I hope lessons have been learned. 

I don't think British 4mm scale will ever be right and 00 is with us to stay.  Another reason to switch to 0 gauge, at least the track gauge is right (well almost, 7FS gauge of 31.5mm scales to 4'6").

John

Peco had some weird and wonderful ideas back in the 70's, John, and especially when they commissioned me to build the master for a typical British station that Pola were to produce in HO !



Anyway, I built the damn thing, got well paid for it and that was that. No such station ever appeared on the market ! Crap master perhaps ?


And what would you like to know about Pecoscene, another product that I was asked to test, revealed it for what ir was - fire cement - again got well paid for it and a year later Peco had to take it off the market for, like fire cement, it crumbled and broke down after time if not treated the way I treat it and that's to colour it with Colron wood dye which no body seemed keen to do


Allan.




Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Dec 13th, 2017 06:08 pm
PMQuoteReply
link to this 184th post
Brossard
Member


Joined: Sat Jul 23rd, 2011
Location: Brossard, Quebec Canada
Posts: 2849
Status: 
Offline

My photos:
view photos in Gallery
view photos as slides

BCDR wrote: Hi John,

One thing that struck me was the lack of auto-coupling gear. Is this supplied as something you have to add?

Underframe detail. They were pretty basic. Gas cylinder for the lights, vacuum cylinder, pipes and brake wires.

Nigel

Don't know about auto coupling gear Nigel.  There's nothing in the box.  In the prototype autocouplers have to be able to connect the steam and vac hoses automatically, as well as the coupling.  Russel doesn't mention in the book I got from you apart from the slip coupling.  The book does have some good detail drawings so I might be able to infer the missing detail from that.  Another job on the to do list.

John



____________________
John

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Dec 13th, 2017 06:09 pm
PMQuoteReply
link to this 185th post
Brossard
Member


Joined: Sat Jul 23rd, 2011
Location: Brossard, Quebec Canada
Posts: 2849
Status: 
Offline

My photos:
view photos in Gallery
view photos as slides

allan downes wrote: Brossard wrote: I had the Rivarossi Royal Scot and a rake of coaches.  The best models on the subject I have ever seen but spoiled irreparably by the scale.  I didn't know Peco was involved.  I hope lessons have been learned. 

I don't think British 4mm scale will ever be right and 00 is with us to stay.  Another reason to switch to 0 gauge, at least the track gauge is right (well almost, 7FS gauge of 31.5mm scales to 4'6").

John

Peco had some weird and wonderful ideas back in the 70's, John, and especially when they commissioned me to build the master for a typical British station that Pola were to produce in HO !



Anyway, I built the damn thing, got well paid for it and that was that. No such station ever appeared on the market ! Crap master perhaps ?


And what would you like to know about Pecoscene, another product that I was asked to test, revealed it for what ir was - fire cement - again got well paid for it and a year later Peco had to take it off the market for, like fire cement, it crumbled and broke down after time if not treated the way I treat it and that's to colour it with Colron wood dye which no body seemed keen to do


Allan.





I guess it's one thing to makea one off model and quite another to productionise it.  :hmm Glad you got paid for your efforts but it would be satisfying to see the results of ones work in the shops.

John

John



____________________
John

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

This is topic ID = 14661     Current time is 05:48 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10     
You are here:  Your Model Railway Club > More Practical Help > Kit Bashing > Johns 7mm Coach Workbench
You can type a quick reply to this topic here. Click in the box below to begin.

Or to reply to an individual post, or to include images, attachments and formatted text,
click the Quote or Reply buttons on each post above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start New Topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.
Start New Topic


Back to top of page

           
15 Most Recent Topics

Problems with this web site? Please contact the Webmaster.

All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted.
Unless stated otherwise, all the material displayed on this web site, including all text, photographs, drawings and other images, is copyright and the property of the respective contributor. Registered members are welcome to use it for their own personal non-commercial modelmaking purposes. It must not be reproduced or re-published elsewhere in any form, or used commercially, without first obtaining the owner's express permission.
The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.    © 2008

                 

Recent Topics Back to top of page

Powered by UltraBB 1.15 Copyright © 2007-2011 by Jim Hale and Data 1 Systems. Page design copyright © 2008-2013 Martin Wynne. Photo gallery copyright © 2009 David Williams.