|Video Archive||Recent Topics|
|Moderated by: Spurno|
|I finally got around to making a start on the tender this week. It was soldered it up using 100°C solder, although with the castings being 2mm thick it turned out to be more like welding. It's a solid lump, weighs a lot, and nothing is going to drop off. A fair amount of filing and cutting was required, and there are still some gaps around the coal well sides that need filling. The tender mushroom air vents were not that great, new ones will have to be sourced. The side coal sheets were removed, as I wanted to backdate it to around 1905. It has a water fountain pipe for the water return from the crosshead pump, a hangover from the broad-gauge tenders that disappeared with the advent of steam injectors. I was not happy with the domed water filler and separate water access cover. Looking at Russell (GWR engines volume 1) and my Hornby Dean Goods a half-lozenge dome/filler would appear to be more appropriate for the period.
Tender soldered-up. Note gaps at front of coal well.
Back of tender showing dome/filler and those 6" thick coal sheets.
Tender with coal sheets removed. No idea what that hole is for.
Water fountain for crosshead water feed return.
I also made-up some axle frames using a Branchlines etch. This comes with brake gear and a white metal water scoop. No 2mm bearings, but some 2mm brass tubing is supplied that holds the axles and acts as frame spacers.
Branchlines N/S etch of tender frame.
I was just about to start bashing the Hornby Dean Goods tender when I remembered I had two Dapol ex-Airfix City of Truro kits in the spares box. These are a useful source of bits and pieces, including a Dean tender with the lozenge dome/filler, which just needs some hinges. Looking at the kits, I realized that I could in fact do a representation of a tender with the axle springs above the frames. There is a nice photo of one of these (with coal rails) behind a Dean outside frame 0-6-0 goods in 1904 on page 76 of Russell. I removed the springs, hangers and axle boxes from both kits using a fine flexible saw. The frames from one kit were cleaned-up using a flat file and #600-emery paper. I also removed the coal sheets and the moldings from the sides and ends of the tender. The axle boxes and lower hanger bushes from one kit were glued back onto the frames; the springs and hangers were glued onto the body using a small styrene spacer at the back. The tender was then put together.It passes my standard (looks OK from 3 feet away).
Tender sides before and after.
Tender side with axle boxes and springs back on. The lower hangers will be removed when the glue has set.
Tender glued up and coal sheets removed. Note that nice riveted buffer beam. Needs 3 hinges on the water filler.
Those upper rods and bushings may be changed to a simple hanger rod when the glue has fully set. I'll use styrene rod.
That’s it for the moment. Next up will be the axle bearing tubes; the wheels and axles (Alan Gibson, EM); the water scoop and rod, the brake rods and brakes; and some coal rails soldered-up from bass rod and strip. I need to source those mushroom vents, and fabricate a water fountain pipe. I am seriously contemplating even further backdating the engine to an S2B parallel boiler and firebox, although that will definitely mean a new backhead and perhaps a new front cab sheet with bigger windows. Plus I’ll need one of those communicating/warning gongs on the side of the tender and a bracket for the line in the tender when it was used with passenger stock (like the Dean Goods, these engines were in fact designated mixed-traffic).
Last edited on Fri Feb 14th, 2014 05:27 am by BCDR
|Recent Topics||Back to top of page|
Powered by Copyright © 2007-2011 by Jim Hale and Data 1 Systems. Page design copyright © 2008-2013 Martin Wynne. Photo gallery copyright © 2009 David Williams.